Way back in 2008 I made a list of 101 things I was going to do in 1001 days. Since then I’ve pretty much abandoned this blog a few times now. No guarantee that it won’t happen again, but what the hey. Recently I’ve decided to kick things up a notch and re-start blogging about my world. This stemmed from trying to locate something in my 2001 and realizing how much I missed writing about my world.
Anyway, one of the things I’ve also decided to do is a new 101 things in 1001 days list. But before doing so I’ve also decided that I’m going to do a re-cap on the old one, that ended on December 31, 2010. So just about 5 years late and I won’t be able to recall most of the part whether it ended before or after, but I feel like I learned a lot. So onward and upward. Updates are in blue.
1. Keep a detailed list of all spending for one month (0/30) – Joined Mint.ca to help keep track of my budget and determine what my savings and spendings are.
2. Get my savings account up to $15,000 by the end of the challenge (/15000) – IN PROGRESS – although I’m not saying how much heh – while I’m not sure if I made the goal in the time, I did cross this goal in my savings for purchasing a house.
3. Save all loose change (with the exception of Jeans day for work) and cash it in at the end of the challenge – This one I did complete. I cashed in all my change in one outing (thank god for counting machines) and walked away with a nice chunk of cash.
4. Go one week without spending any money (0/7) – I now regularly do this. I also regularly don’t.
5. Buy a new laptop – COMPLETED – Ordered (04.07.08), finally arrived 04.19.08
6. Research into the details of buying my own home instead of renting – I’ve done extensive research in this and have been working on purchasing my own home for two or three years now. I can’t remember how long.
Health and Fitness:
7. Go one month without eating fast food for lunch at work (0/30) – I’ve likely done this, but I don’t do it frequently. I should do it more frequently.
8. Do yoga every morning for one week (0/7) – I’ve discovered this frequency doesn’t really work for me, but I did do yoga twice a day for a week while in Cuba on a yoga retreat…okay okay I lied. I missed a single morning, but damnit, close enough.
9. Go two weeks without eating out (0/14) –eh, see #7.
10. Drink 8 glasses of water every day for one month. (0/30) – Carrying around a water bottle greatly helped achieving this one.
11. Go one month without pop (0/30) – I gave up pop for quite a while. Now I don’t stress out about it, unless I’m drinking it all the time.
12. Eat a healthy breakfast every day for one month (0/30) – I’ve gotten significantly better at eating a regular breakfast and I feel better for it. I just also get lazy.
13. No chocolate for one month. (0/30) – Yeah, let’s be honest. This is never going to happen
14. Keep an accurate food journal for two months. (0/60) – I’ve done this a few times, especially when I’ve been doing Weight Watchers. I need to get back into the habit.
15. Lose 25 pounds. (0/25) – This one happened, but it didn’t stay happened. I lost them, then I found them again.
16. Brush and floss every day for a month (0/30) – So I’ve never been good at teeth. Although I’ve worked hard to get the brush every day in place.
17. Swim for 30 minutes 3 times a week for one month (0/12) – This one always seemed to fall short cause of female time.
18. Do an aerobic video three times a week for one month (0/12) – Nope. Hasn’t happened. Joined yoga instead.
19. Plan a weekly menu and follow it for each week for a month (0/4) – I tried this. It worked well. I need to get back on it.
20. Learn to prepare 10 healthy new meals (0/10) – I’ve found many new healthy meals and I love them all. I need to stop being lazy.
21. Moisturize in the morning for a month (0/30) – Moisturizer doesn’t help in the morning. And it made my skin kinda… ew. After the shower helps though, especially in the winter.
22. Shower in the morning daily for a month (0/30) – I’ve found that this is great, but, I still feel gross by the end of day, and having two showers a day seems like such a waste on so many levels.
23. Have a pedicure done – This was fun. And I like shiney toes.
24. Get eyebrows waxed once – Eh, I ended up deciding that I like my eyebrows the way they are and that waxing sounds incredibly painful.
25. Get highlights done professionally once – I keep meaning to get this done, but it’s not a high priority thing. More of a … if I have extra money and time thing.
26. Wear makeup every day for a week (0/7) – Insecurities about my skin, and it’s blotchy-ness, have made this a daily occurance.
27. Wear a skirt to work 10 times (0/10) – Oh please. Finding out that I can wear wide-calf high boots has meant plenty of days in skirts and dresses. Love those boots.
28. Stop biting / picking nails for one week (0/7) – So I do really really well at this…. until the stress level escalates.
29. Get my upper ear pierced – Check! Much after the end date (had it done earlier this year) but I love it SO MUCH.
30. Complete the first draft of my Nano novel – IN PROGRESS… kinda… – I’ve re-written and written about 4 Nano novels by now. I have no idea what one this is refering to so we’re going to make an assumption that I’ve covered this.
31. Make 3 Scrapbooks (0/3) – I let this one fall by the way side.
32. Complete another draft novel (during NaNoWriMo or otherwise) – See #30
33. Blog at least once a week or equivalent can include updates on 101 in 1001 – Nah.
34. Write for 15 minutes every day for two weeks (0/14) – Nah
35. Write 20 new poems (0/20) – I’ve scribed a few, but I don’t think I’ve hit 20.
36. Edit and compile a poetry book with new and old poems – Did not happen.
37. Paint at least 10 canvases (0/10) – Fairly certain this did happen. But I could not provide proof as I’ve given almost all of them away.
38. Finish Eiffel Tower canvas for Hannah (not to be included in 10 canvases) – She has it on her desk at work, so I finished it. I hated it SO MUCH but I finished it.
39. Sew something using my sewing machine – About that… so I set up the sewing machine on the table and it promptly caused the table to fall over and almost killed the sewing machine. I’ve sewed a few things on my mom’s sewing machine at their place, but I have not chanced setting mine up again. Although she got a new sewing machine and gave me the old one so technically…
40. Fill a sketchbook with doodles, poetry and sketches – IN PROGRESS – So I have about 10 sketch books, and if we were to put them all together… lol
41. Write 20 short stories (minimum of two pages) (0/20) – Technically I completed this one when I did the creative writing class.
42. Create a dream journal and document 10 random dreams (0/10) – Wow I really don’t do well with numbered assignments.
43. Take a photograph every day for one month (0/30) – Ditto #42
44. Make a baby blanket for Karen and Mike’s little one – COMPLETED (05.23.08)
45. Print out all stories that I’ve written and assemble in a binder. – I know I started doing this when I was actually legitemately doing this. And I did print out everything I had written and put it in a binder. Now it would be considered no, but at that point it was a yes.
46. Submit a piece to a printed publication – I’m still working on the courage to do this one.
Arts and Entertainment
47. Clean out my mp3 collection at least once. – IN PROGRESS – might as well do it when transferring to new laptop – I did this!
48. Read 250 books – books must be documented (here), re-reading is okay. (?/250) – While I cannot confirm that I did this, I did read a hell of a lot of books. Goodreads can confirm that.
49. Go to three museums/galleries (1/3) – I’ve completed this but I’m sure it wasn’t within the challenge timeframe.
50. Visit the library once a month (5/33) – I love the library. I don’t love the overdue fees I get by forgetting to return to the library.
51. Expand my music collection by 30 CDs & can included downloaded ones (0/30) – ODG for real? My music collection has grown exponentially via mp3s.
52. Learn to play scales on the guitar – If Guitar Hero or RockBand counts, then I am golden.
53. Watch 100 movies – documented here (?/100) – Haha no. I haven’t documented anything. But I did watch a lot of great movies.
54. Buy a copy of book I like, write comments in it and leave it in a random place for someone to find (0/5) – I’ve done this in the sense of given away random books I’ve liked by leaving them in random places but I’ve never written anything in them.
55. Go to a free summer event each summer (ie concert, street fest, etc) – I’ve been to enough free places and seen enough things to have completed this.
56. Write/email friends I don’t speak to 33 times. (1/33) –I am not good at mail. Or email. Mostly because I see so many emails at work.
57. Send out 10 “just because” cards/letters (0/10) – See above.
58. Join a dating service and go on a date – So I did, and I did, and I even had a boyfriend for a few months that turned into a massive clusterfuck that terrified me from committed relationships for quite a while. But I’m back on the dating sites and attempting the dating thing again.
59. See 6 movies without being dragged (2/6) – I like movies. I just don’t like the act of going out. But I’ve been getting better at it.
60. Take two classes online or otherwise, personal or career related (0/2) – Kinda took this one a lot further than I anticipated and I ended up graduating from college last year. And I’m halfway doing it again.
61. Have a picnic with my Mom and sister – With the two of them being hospital bound for quite some time this has not happened in the official sense.
62. Have two small parties with friends/family in my apartment (0/2) – Each time I’ve tried this I’ve gotten horribly sick. So I don’t try anymore.
63. Bake goodies for co-workers 6 times (1/6) – Nah, never finished.
(04.22.08) – buttertart squares
64. Host a baking party for friends from work – Hahah no.
65. Grab a buddy and go on a photo-tour – I don’t even understand what this is. Get a friend and take a bunch of pictures while walking around? If that’s the case, done lots of times.
66. Treat a friend to a movie – More frequently they seem to treat me to a movie, but it’s happened.
67. Walk down a beach as the sun sets/rises – Completed – Sunset – (08.03.08) Third Beach, Stanley Park, Vancover. Sunset – (08.06.08) Comox.
68. Visit a different province – COMPLETED – BC (08.03.08 to 08.10.08)
69. Visit somewhere I’ve never been before – Outside of the challenge, I’ve visited Cuba and Hondouras. Well beyond my comfort zones.
70. Visit a waterfall – COMPLETED – Shannon Falls, Squamish, BC and Nymph Falls, Comox, BC
71. Spend an afternoon in the kayak – I did this with the then boyfriend, who was terrified of water. That was likely mean.
72. Collect a complete set of US state quarters – IN PROGRESS – I still have a jar of them. Is a complete set? Who knows.
73. Take out garbage/recycling weekly to prevent clutter – Hahaha no. Another “to work on” point. Although having to have regular garbage collection would assist with this.
74. Create an emergency preparedness kit and an emergency plan (http://getprepared.ca/index_e.asp) – I had one. Then I used a bunch of stuff from it. So now I need one again.
75. Clean all dishes and counters after using them – So this is another thing I really need to work on.
76. Empty out all the moving boxes – IN PROGRESS – only 6 boxes left… (04.07.08)… Emptied out 3 boxes (07.19.08) now only ones are the mystery boxes in the closet –
77. Put up photos and posters – decorate! – I did this to a degree. Then I took some down. Then I put some back up. And now it’s in a place of half done.
78. Shred old bills – Yup
79. Set up and organise an “art” station. – So I cleaned the old art corner, and then determined that I did not have enough space to set up a full art station. Which I desperately want. So I guess I need to get working on the whole moving thing…
80. De-clutter the entire apartment – Many many times I have tried this. Many.
81. Go through my clothes and donate everything that doesnâ€™t fit / wouldnâ€™t wear – IN PROGRESS – just have the closet and PJ drawer left (06.23.08) – COMPLETED (08.15.08) Clothes have been given to parents to donate
82. Clean the bathroom thoroughly once a month (3/33) – So, I don’t have dates, but the bathroom is the one place I clean thoroughly at least monthly now.
(04.20.08), (05.25.08), (06.21.08), (07.19.08), (08.23.08)
83. Keep the apartment in a state where it’s company-presentable for 6 months (ie anyone can drop by any time and it wouldn’t be messy) (0/6) – This is something I really really really need to work on. Perhaps this will be easier in a bigger space? Or if I really just got rid of a lot of junk.
84. Purchase a double or queen bed – mattress and frame, sheets – Well… I bought the sheets? But I guess that doesn’t count.
85. Make needed repairs to dining table (or replace) – Fixed the table. But it still needs to be replaced.
86. Create slip-covers for dining chairs (or replace) – Ha, no. Did not happen. On either account.
87. Spend a full day in silence (no talking/televisions/radio). –
88. Have a computer-free weekend – COMPLETED (05.15.08 til 05.19.08)
89. Have a cell phone-free weekend – If the battery dies overnight friday and you’ve forgotten your charger, does that count?
90. Go skinny-dipping under the stars each summer (07.26.08) – Due to unplanned circumstances out of our control, we pretty much abandoned the cottage for a while. But last summer we finally made it back up there, and while this goal was not completed, there’s still hope for naked swimming in the future.
91. Handwrite a blog entry and scan it to the blog – Fairly certain I did complete this, although all the old blog posts are almost all private now. Let me check…. yup. I did.
92. Watch the sunrise – This has happened a few times now when I’m traveling. I don’t think that really qualifies as it’s not “official”.
93. Compose a “If something ever happens to me” letter – So as much as I want to do this, every time I try I spiral down into a bad bad place. But I’ve done a few things to address some of the issues, so that’s helpful.
94. Take a day-long vacation from the world. – Yeah, I took a few of these, actually.
95. Take a First Aid Course – I became First Aid Certified two years ago. Which reminds me that I need to re-certify this coming year.
96. Write a fan letter and send it – I hand delivered it. Does that count?
97. Plant two gardens – one indoor and one outdoor (1/2) – IN PROGRESS – planted a mini planter garden this summer… didn’t manage to keep the plants alive, however my indoor plants are flourishing. – So I had a couple of summer gardens. I had some success with them, but not a whole lot. I haven’t been able to keep plants alive in the apartment (the cat helps there) but I’ve got 3 spider plants, a money tree, another plant, a baby pine tree, and a mini garden flourishing at work.
98. Brush up on my French and learn to speak more French – Nope, did not happen.
99. Learn basic Braille and ASL – I did learn basic braille, but it’s something I need to work on more. It’s fascinating.
100. Spoil the cat by ensuring that he gets 30 minutes of undivided attention a day for a month (0/30) – Sadly I’m not sure I did this. I have tried, however, to ensure that he does get undivided attention each day when I’m with him.
101. Create a list of 100 things that make me happy and post it in a visible place in the apartment – Yeah, never did this. However I’m working on a new list now.